Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm Crafty!!

So this is exciting for me. Kaya's first Halloween where she gets to go Trick-or-Treating is coming up, and she's going to be a princess (of course, it's so fitting). I've been searching all over for a proper princess "hat".. you know, the cone shaped one with the streamer type fabric coming out of the top. Well, I tell you- tiaras have taken over the world and the cone hats you do find are made out of FABRIC.. which in my opinion defeats the purpose of the CONE!!! They don't stand up on their own!! Kevin said some kid probably poked themselves in the eye or something and the company got sued so now they aren't allowed to make pointy hats. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, my search led me to Michaels where I found a small foam princess hat, complete with a streamer of white tulle (netting-like fabric) coming out of the top. And it was all of $3- which was great because the other shitty princess hats I found were going for like $6. Even though it only came in hot pink and dark purple, I decided to buy it and experiment. If I failed miserably, oh well, I'd buy a damn tiara in the end.

My plan was to find some fabric that went with her dress and somehow cover the hat with it. I found some gold lame' (you know- the shiny gold fabric that was oh so popular in the 80's- when I was little I SO wanted a gold lame' dress!) at WalMart and bought a yard (less than $3). Then the creativity ended. That material and hat sat for a good two weeks before the other day, when in a burst of "domestic-ness"... things my mother taught me from my youth suddenly came back to me. I peeled the hat apart, which wasn't too hard- it was only glued and it came apart with no visible damage. Took the tulle off, which was glued in too, and removed the elastic chin strap. I laid it flat on Kaya's little drawing table over the paper, traced the outline, then traced a line around it about an inch and a half wider. Cut the paper pattern out, attatched it to the fabric and cut the fabric pattern out. I had no craft glue or hot glue gun (surprise surprise- i'm not THAT domestic!!) , so I used regular tape to see if it had actually worked- it did! And the funny thing is, the lame' is sort of sheer so the hat looks like a light pink gold which really REALLY matches her dress! I went out and got craft glue for like a buck something and affixed all the material to the foam, then glued it back into the cone shape. Instead of gluing the tulle back, I just tied a knot in the end and pulled it back through the top. Two snips in the holes for the chinstrap and it was done. And it looks good!! I was really proud of myself, as dumb as that sounds. And it cost little under $8, which is great since the crappy, non-pointy, non-matching ones were like $6.

And now I am officially turning into Martha Stewart. Ha ha.

Oh yes and I got the job at Macy's. Woo hoo!

No comments: